I was asked this very question (with reference to a specific body fluid – ejaculate/cum) last week during one of our Kinsey Confidential presentations in a dorm.
I wasn’t sure how to answer. I’d probably read the same lady-mag articles as the woman who asked me, but I told her I wasn’t aware of any scientific evidence of this.
So, today I searched for any quality research on the semen/diet connection…and came up mostly empty. Perhaps I wasn’t using the correct keywords during my EBSCO and Google Scholar searches, because the closest thing I found was an article on using Coca-Cola as a douche (Yikes!) and some patent applications for vitamin supplements designed to make semen taste better. Not quite what I had in mind.
A simple Google search turns up plenty of websites on this topic from the silly to the more believable information that seems well-written and informative, even though none of it is based on any scientific evidence I could find.
Although, to be fair, I have a hard time imagining what type of department at a university would support a research study on this subject; even I have a hard time figuring out how this might related to sexual health or sexuality studies.
Taste Difficult To Study
Plus, taste is a very subjective thing. Discussing what a survey about semen and taste might look like with a colleague, we could really only come up with a data collection method involving couples filling out questionnaires tracking diet and subjective taste measures. Not super reliable but an interesting topic for the future sexologists, perhaps.
A summary of what a few websites said (remember, I’m NOT vouching for how accurate this is):
These supposedly make semen taste better – and seem to be things that are Good For You in general:
- Fruit, especially citrus like oranges and grapefruit and pineapple. Also listed are bananas and papayas.
- Vegetables (debatable as veggies with strong tastes like asparagus might not help)
- Certain spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, peppermint and lemon
- Parsley, wheatgrass, and celery are particularly recommended for sweeter semen taste, supposedly because of their high chlorophyll content. (Curious about this one, myself)
These supposedly make semen taste worse/bitter – also things that might be Bad for You in general:
- Recreational drugs (specifics weren’t given)
- Preservatives found in junk food
- Strong tasting foods such as onions or garlic
- Red meat (some websites say vegetarians have better tasting semen)
You can check out a few of the websites I found below if you’re interested in reading what a lot of them said about the connection between both diet and exercise when it comes to the taste of semen.
Go Ask Alice – great sex Q&A column out of Columbia university answers a semen taste question.
Mmmmmm! Semen! – A funny article and informal quiz/essay about both male and female fluid.
Sperm Taste – 10 Simple Tips – This list seems a little more well-rounded and isn’t trying to sell me any supplements, which I appreciate.