Q&A: Crooked (And Somewhat Sore) Penis?

E-mail Email Icon Print Print Icon
Reddit Digg StumbleUpon Delicious Bookmark

QUESTION: About a year ago I started noticing that my penis would become crooked when erect, a bend in the middle maybe about 20 degrees to the left. It doesn't hurt but just a slight tension. What could be causing it? Is it common? Does it usually go away in time. Should I see a doctor or take special herbs?

Subscribe to the Kinsey Confidential Podcast: iTunes | RSS

I would encourage you to check in with your healthcare provider; a general internist would be a fine place to start, though a urologist would also be a good choice.

Although the penis varies greatly in terms of size, shape, direction of point and bend (and yes, it is common enough for erect penises to bend or point in different ways), if a man notices that his penis changes in the way that it bends – or if his penis becomes sore, uncomfortable or painful when either flaccid (soft) or erect (hard) – he should check in with his healthcare provider.

Occasionally this may happen as the result of trauma (and the resulting scar tissue that may develop) or Peyronie’s Disease, a somewhat uncommon condition that mostly affects older men (learn more from the Mayo Clinic’s web site).

I know of no herbs that have been shown to be helpful to the shape (or feel) of a man’s erection. Again, please do check in with your healthcare provider for more personalized information related to your genital health.

Dr. Debby Herbenick (M.P.H., Ph.D.)

is a sexual health educator at The Kinsey Institute, Associate Director of the Center for Sexual Health Promotion at Indiana University and author of several books including Sex Made Easy and Because It Feels Good: A Woman's Guide to Sexual Pleasure and Satisfaction.
More posts by this author »


Comments are closed.